No comments yet

The Old Brown Coal Mine Museum

Starting life out as the YMCA that was built as a recreation hall for the mine workers, the building that the museum now calls home has had a long and colourful life. Yallourn North & District Historical Society undertook the project of restoring the building to house over a century’s worth of local history. It is a collection of artifacts and documentation from Yallourn North, formerly known as Brown Coal Mine, as well as the township of Yallourn, and the former State Electricity Commission.

Many volunteers strive to ensure the Museum and its history is preserved and well presented. They meet weekly to gather and sort through its many historical items, photos, and documents, as well as maintain the Museum building and grounds.

So pop in and say hello to the team, look around through the numerous displays, and learn a bit about our rich local history that had such a large part in building a modern Victoria through electricity generation.

Museum

 The museum looking west

 

The Museum is located on Moe-Glengarry Road (Third Street) Yallourn North  Victoria.

38° 9′ 51.5916” S
146° 21′ 50.4072” E

Telephone 03 5167 1046 or at home 03 5167 1417 or 03 5127 3283

When is it open?

Open Saturdays & most Mondays and Tuesdays
Open most public holidays except Christmas day & New Years day.

Summer – September to May

Sunday – 10am – 4pm
Mon – Tues: 10am – 2.30pm

Winter –  June to August 
Sundays 11am – 3pm
Mon – Tues: 10am – 2.30pm

Bookings Welcome

www.browncoalminemuseum.websyte.com.au

Facebook Linky

Coalmine horse

Comments are closed.